Thursday, March 23, 2006

Please remind me WHY I show my dogs.... (rant)

In order to show one dog in BC in a couple of weeks, I have had to overcome the following obstacles and incur the following expenses IN ADDITION to regular show entry stuff.....
  1. Find a doggie-sitter for Chyna (cocker spaniel). Since this is the same weekend as a local show AND my usual doggie-sitters have brand new puppies this was a challenge.
  2. Find a boarding kennel for Elton (boxer) that did not require me to vaccinate him unnecessarily..... HUGE challenge (and fielded a few insults along the way about how I need to do MY homework on vaccinations - don't make me laugh!), but done (at an extra expense).
  3. Book a flight to BC including the extra charge for having a pet in the cabin.
  4. Fight with airline employees over their pet-in-cabin size restrictions.
  5. Figure out airline requirements for paperwork of dog.
  6. Figure out real health requirements for dog (ie. Heartworm testing and/or preventative).
  7. Beg a friend to let me stay at her house while out there.
  8. Beg another friend to let me ride with her from airport to show grounds (actually, this one was offered... thanks Jackie and Kelly).
  9. Wander aimlessly around airline website trying (unsuccessfully) to confirm flight information.
  10. Call airline to confirm flight information - they changed both the flight number and departure/arrival times.
  11. Fight with airline employee AGAIN over their size restrictions of pets in the cabin (there is going to be a scene at the check in counter if they deny us boarding).
  12. Realized there was going to be a judging conflict between the specialty and all breed show. Contacted show secretary about it.
  13. Realized, after asking for early morning ring time on Sunday, that cockers are on at the VERY END OF THE DAY so I can't show on the last day at all as I'll be on an airplane coming home during that time.
  14. Learned who some of the dogs are that are entered and discovered that the competition is going to be fierce for even a single ribbon that weekend.

And there is still a week to go before the show.... lots of things could still go so very wrong and cause me even more stress. So tell me, after all that, why the HELL do I show my dogs? I could spend all that money on a short vacation with my dogs and we would all probably have way more fun!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Because the show time on Sunday is being changed to morning, thanks to Steve.

Because your bitch was #1 bitch for the breed last year, so she will be competitive.

Because you are VERY proud of your breeding program, and you have every right to be.

Now, I am going with a relatively untrained puppy that is going to make a fool of me. Why am I going????

GreatOne said...

Hey, I was just out blogging around, and I ran across your blog! I just wanted you to know I enjoy your's, and I plan on coming back for more updates! Have a great day!