Friday, August 15, 2008

Excuse me for being the grammar police but....

I really can't believe how much stuff gets into print with obvious grammar mistakes. Spelling isn't much of an issue due to spell checkers but grammar checkers are somewhat less reliable and someone with a 3rd grade grasp of the English language is required to proofread some of this stuff for accuracy.

Think I'm kidding? Last weekend I found my old Grade 3 English & Math notebook. Besides some really funny notes (like "I hate Mrs Mirkovich" - my teacher, and "I hate Louisa. She always cheats!" next to a tally scoresheet... I guess I had some anger issues LOL) and noticing an early affinity for math (in the whole book there were only 2 small math errors in pages of problems - hooray for young me) I found hand written phrases such as:

The girls went to the pool. THEY'RE going to swim THERE. THEIR swimsuits are red.

This was in 3rd grade! There really is no excuse for grown adults to not have a grasp on the whole their/they're/there, your/you're, it's/its situation. I'm not an English major by any stretch but these are the basics!

Back to my original story.... yesterday I picked up the mail which included a junkmail newspaper called "The Lethbridge Journal". On the top of the front page, above the name of the newspaper, was an advertisement. It's a free paper so that's to be expected. The advertisement was for a car dealership. The tagline (which they have used for as long as I can remember) was printed as.... "Your going to drive away happy!"

I threw the whole paper away.

5 comments:

Jonathan said...

That's funny, but we all have our little things.

Unknown said...

Bad grammar really makes me CRAZY! There is simply no excuse for it!

Louisa said...

Those grammar errors drive me crazy too.

Hopefully you've gotten over your hate for both Mrs. M and me, lol.

Visichy said...

I've been able to put my hate behind me LOL. I have no recollection of the game we were playing and I actually have very fond memories of Mrs Mirkovich.

BBKing77 said...

I like the last line the best. Short, sweet, and to the point.

I think I've made it clear on a couple of entries to my own blog how I feel about published grammar mistakes. Good job!