Tuesday, June 09, 2009

I'm all for appreciating other cultures but.....

This is going to sound racist but I think I have a valid point. Enough with the "Native Awareness Weeks" already!

In the last 2 months there have been:
  • A Native Awareness Week put on by the University including pow-wows, speakers, etc.
  • A Native Awareness Week put on by the city with more pow-wows, speakers, arts & crafts for the kiddies, etc.
  • U of L convocation with native elements in the ceremonies (drumming and songs).
  • A native symposium (lectures, dancing demonstrations, etc) held in the university atrium.
These are just off the top of my head... I'm sure there were more events. All this is just a 2 month period.

My question is, at what point is enough enough? I am "aware" of the natives. Having spent many of my school years in this area I've been to my share of drumming ceremonies, round dances, and the like. It gets to a point where it feels shoved down my throat.

When do I get to celebrate my own heritage? There are a lot of English immigrants in Canada.... when do we get to have "British Awareness Week"? Tea, scones, and yorkshire puddings all around. We can wear crowns like the royal family and play polo. Then we can go to a pub to drink Guiness and sing football anthems. I'd sign up for that!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Spotted dick
Bangers and mash

Let's go for it!

{Sarah} said...

Ooo... me too! Yorkshire puddings... yuuuuummmmm!

Unknown said...

Let me know when it's French-Ukrainian Awareness Week please . . . or even just Caucasian Awareness Week! Did you know there's a public school in Toronto that only allows African American students? How is that not discrimination???

Visichy said...

LOL! Caucasian Awareness Week. I LOVE it :)

Unknown said...

Why is it so wrong for me to like being white? I have NOTHING against other races, but I feel like I'm not supposed to like myself, because of the colour of my skin!