Friday, January 20, 2006

Why the Canadian Government drives me insane!!!!

So my friend and I want to go to Disneyland this spring. For various reasons, I quickly realized it made more sense for me to get a passport in order to get across the border instead of relying on other paperwork.

But I'm in a bit of a pickle because many years ago I threw away my proof of Canadian citizenship as I never used it (I was young and foolish and would certainly not recommend doing that!). But of course they won't issue a passport to someone who cannot prove they are a Canadian Citizen. So after many phone calls, many e-mails, much standing in line, and much use of my Visa, I finally have all the documents I need to get my Canadian Passport.

So this morning I walked 10 blocks in -12 degrees Celsius weather to get to the passport office. Once I get there I stand in the first of three lines.... the first is to get a number. Yup, you have to line up to take a number LOL.

Then I get in the second line. This is for pre-screening to make sure you have all your documents in order. The pre-screening lady (who seems to really enjoy her job - major sarcasm) verifies that I am flying down on March 5th (I had copies of my flight receipts there) which was correct. She then tells me that I can't get my passport until February 6th. As this is about 2 weeks away (the estimated time it takes to process the paperwork and pick up the passport) I say thank-you and proceed into the third line where I will actually submit my paperwork. The pre-screening lady follows me and in a very loud voice so everyone in the passport office turns to look at her she says "MISS! MISS! I mean you can't SUBMIT your paperwork until February 6th!"

Oh! Well that was a wasted 10 block walk in -12 weather! So now I have to do that again in 2 weeks when the temperature is forecasted to be even colder! Then do it all again 2 weeks later to pick up the damn thing!

But my big question is... WHY!!!????!!! Why won't they accept my paperwork more than a month before I expect to travel? What's the difference in submitting it 6 weeks before I leave vs. 4 weeks before I leave? And if it DOES make a difference, why can't they just sit on the paperwork for 2 weeks and then process it after February 6th? WHY? Because the Canadian government is out to freakin' lunch!!! They are an example of process superseding common sense! But because they are the government, there is no point arguing with them. I'd be wasting my energy.... and I'll be needing that energy for the 10 block walk back to the office!

4 comments:

Louisa said...

I recently read this quote:

"The beaurocracy is expanding to meet the needs of the expanding beaurocracy."

Anonymous said...

Sorry it was all such a downer but you do express your self very well. I had to laugh at your situation, it really is incredibly stupid but what can you do? At least you got some exercise out of it. I hope you really enjoy Disneyland after all this. Good luck!

Carlson02 said...

That's insane... you should be able to file for a passport at anytime. It's not like you have to file for one everytime you travel, so why do you have to wait till a certain date for you to get it the frist time. I hate government buildings, so I feel for you on this one :(

Anonymous said...

Probably not worth your while driving to the south end of Calgary, but there is a passport office just south of Anderson on MacLeod Trail. I did my application there last year, and because it was an emergency, got it within a few days. I was in and out within 45 minutes, including waiting time, checking my references, paying etc. I had to collect the passport itself from downtown, but I was only in the main office for five minutes. You can also get the passport mailed to you, but you have to sign for it, either at your door or at the local post office.
Just a thought or two for you.