Tuesday, January 03, 2006

DVD Reviews #1

Well, since I've been sick over much of the holidays, I have watched a large number of DVD's. Thanks to my sister Louisa for lending me the movies. The TV DVD's are my own. Here, FWIW, are my thoughts.......

5 stars = Outstanding!
4 stars = Pretty good
3 stars = Average
2 stars = Poor
1 star = Suckfest!

TV Shows

Scrubs Season 1 - Outstanding! 2 enthusiastic thumbs up. This DVD set includes all season one episodes with various commentaries covering about 6 episodes. There are also cast, writer, etc interviews and a gag reel. If you like Scrubs, even a little bit, this is worth purchasing.

Scrubs Season 2 - Pretty good. Includes as much extra footage as season 1 but didn't seem to have the same impact.... maybe they set the bar too high with season 1? Worth watching but should only be purchased by the die hard fans :)

Friends Season 8 - Pretty good. The episodes have been in syndication for a while so nothing really new or unexpected there, even with additional scenes. The extras on this DVD set are worth watching though. Highlights are the "guest star" episodes with Brad Pitt, Sean Penn, and Alec Baldwin.

Friends Season 9 - Pretty good. Similar to season 8 but with a slightly better gag reel.

Friends Season 10 - Outstanding! Although the 10th season of Friends was shorter (18 episodes instead of the usual 26) these are some of the best episodes. The extras are oustanding with a gag reel from the 10th season as well as seasons 1-4..... totalling over 45 mins of gags. The gag reel is the highlight of any Friends DVD because it's not only flubbed lines but jokes the cast played on each other.... many a chuckle is to be had :)


Movies

Uptown Girls - Poor. The story is weak and Britney Murphy's acting is hardly Oscar-worthy. Dakota Fanning is cute but she can't carry the movie. Overall, not a great flick.

When Harry Met Sally - Pretty good. While the movie is a classic and enjoyable, the DVD extras actually pull it down in rating. The "behind the scenes" featurette is pretty good but they only got recent interviews from actors Billy Crystal and Carrie Fisher.... Meg Ryan and Bruno Kirby are shown but with footage from 1988. Unfortunately the Rob Reiner commentary is pretty dull and any other DVD extras are very forgettable.

The Family Man - Outstanding. Both the movie itself and the DVD extras are great. Extras include not only a gag reel and deleted scenes but three feature length commentaries.

How To Lose A Guy In 10 Days - Suckfest!!!! I was extremely disappointed with this movie. There was almost no chemistry between the two main characters (played by Kate Hudson and Matthew McConaughey) and the story limped along badly! It was so bad I didn't even watch the DVD extras

Spanglish - Outstanding! I knew almost nothing about this movie when I put it in the DVD player so I had no expectations. As it turns out, the movie was both entertaining and very well made. The extras were also great as they include commentaries, screen tests for some of the actors, as well as a short documentary on how to make the "world's greatest sandwich". All in all a delightful DVD :)

2 comments:

Louisa said...

I can't believe you hated Uptown Girls and How To Lose A Guy In 10 Days so much! I know they're fluff, but they're sweet, fun fluff.

Hey, thanks for loaning me Friends Season 10 and Scrubs Season 1. The Friends gag reel is hilarious and the other features are neat. It was cool watching a couple episodes with the commentary.

I've only watched 2 eps of Scrubs so far and I'm liking it a lot! It's really weird and funny. I'm thinking of doing a piece about it in my blog in the coming days so stay tuned. :-)

P.S. I watched In Good Company which you loaned me and I loved it. It wasn't as much of a comedy as I expected, but it spoke to me in a career-philosophy sort of way.

I agree with you about Spanglish and Family Man. They're amazing. I have no comment about WHMS - I've seen it on TV so often I've never bothered to watch the DVD. (That was $15 well spent.)

Anonymous said...

I too found "How to Loose a Guy in Ten Days" to be just light hearted and fun. Sorry you did not like it.

I have never seen "Spanglish" but others also say it is great so I must find a way to watch it.

Scrubs never really appealed to me but Grey's Anatomy has me glued every week, I just love it.

All reviews (and other news) are fun to read so please keep it coming!