Tuesday, April 25, 2006

More things that suck (or bug me)....

1. People that NEVER SHUT UP!!!! There aren't too many people that fall into this category but you've probably met one or two in your life. It's that person that you have a conversation with but they are the one speaking 95% of the time. There are no awkward silences but after a while you wish for a moment of silence.

2. Similar to number 1.... people that know it all. I actually had one woman TELL me how much it costs me to fill up my van with gas. She has a similar vehicle so instead of saying HER vehicle costs $xxxx and MINE costs $xxxx , she declared that I was wrong in my statement of how much it costs me and that her figure was accurate. I couldn't believe it! Like I'm going to lie about the dollar amount of my last gas receipt. I just don't know how to talk to someone like that.

3. Along the lines of number 2..... stupid users that think they have the answers to their own technical problems. In database support, a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing. If a user logs a problem ticket due to a problem, that's fine. If a user logs a problem ticket with pages of instructions on how to fix it (which are usually wrong yet written in a condescending tone), it just makes everybody's job harder. Just tell me what the problem is and I'll look into it! Don't waste my time with your theories of how to fix it. And REALLY don't say "while you're at it can you (insert 5 hour job that requires a whole other set of paperwork and authorizations to complete)" because the answer is going to be no! Stupid users!

4. Being sick and on call for work at the same time. The weird thing is, I seem to only get sick when I am on call (the theory is that increased stress and interrupted sleep plays havoc with my immune system). But it's like adding insult to injury.... it just sucks.

5. Expecting something great and getting something mediocre. Today the cafeteria had mulligatawny soup. Last time they had it I was in heaven.... by far the best mulligatawny I'd ever had. So when I saw it on the menu today I just about had an orgasm! I ordered it, brought it to my desk, opened up the container and there sat a runny, lumpy, yellow mess. It was mostly edible (in that I ate about 70% of it after I picked out the questionable items) but it was no where near as good as last time... it was like they took good Mulligatawny, added some left over chicken noodle, threw in a handful of rice and chickpeas (I think that's what they were), and called it lunch. Major let down. So next time the cafeteria has mulligatawny I'm not sure what I'll do. There is potential for greatness but also for disappointment. What a dilemma.

6. Not having enough money to do all the things I want to do. At least I have enough money for my needs (not that long ago I didn't....) but my dreams have gotten bigger. And bigger dreams require bigger funds. I better go buy my Super 7 tickets after work :)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like you didn't have a good day . . . had to have been the soup.

I can't stand people that are always right! Don't they know that I AM always right? C'mon people, get with the program! ;)

Anonymous said...

Awwwwwwww, I am glad you can vent on here. Some of those things would really irritate me too, especially the know-it-all.