Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Invitation celebrations and guest list woes!

Invitations are all out! Yippee!!! It seemed like such a simple thing.... address & send wedding invitations. However, it took about 6 weeks from start to finish!

It's the old 80/20 rule. 80% of them were no problem.... 20% were "exceptions'. The bulk of the invitations were addressed and mailed out 6 weeks ago. Some were hand delivered to close family and friends. Those were no problem.

But then there were the 20% of invitees that were tough to get ahold of. They were friends that we decided to hand deliver to but we didn't see them for a while and when we did we forgot to bring them their invitation. Also there were a couple of "did you invite so & so" comments from fathers (both Vince's and mine) so we had to modify the guest list accordingly and address new invitations to accomodate them and make sure everyone is happy.

Speaking of the guest list, keeping a wedding small is very tricky. You can go with ONLY immediate family and keep the guest list at about 10, the next step is close family & very close friends and the guest list is about 40, the next step is everyone you have ever met in your life and people get really upset if you don't invite them!

We tried to keep the guest list small, maximum 100, but it seems that unless you set rock solid boundaries the guest list will creep up on you. The guideline I came up with when deciding if a friend should be invited is "have I socialized with them in the last year?". If the answer was no then they were not included. Yet somehow, between Vince & myself, we have at least 50 people invited that either we have never or rarely socialized with but they were invited as we were obligated (for various reasons... I don't want to point fingers at any one person because each situation is different).

Luckily no one who reads this blog would fall in that category so I feel safe venting about it. However, if you are coming to the wedding, this is a fun game you can play.... "spot the obligated invitee" LOL!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Ooooh, the game sounds fun! I will definitely play - I'm sure my friends will like it too :) And if not, I bet Weeza will play it with me!

Glad I saw you at some shows, otherwise I'd be off the list ;) I'm really looking forward to it though, it's going to be a great celebration!

Louisa said...

Kelly - you're on! We can make it a contest. I'm the emcee, so I can even annouce the results. (Vicky, JUST KIDDING!) LOL.

Vicky - glad you can at least laugh about it!

I still vividly remember when a family friend asked when the wedding was going to be, and I replied "2 months ago." His facial expression indicated he clearly expected an invitation. Then he told me to lose weight, so I stopped feeling bad about the non-invitation. (Ok, there's WAY more to that story but I'm just telling you the bits that make me sound good.) :-)

Carlson02 said...

Ooooh, I want to play too!

Glad you got it all done now Vicky! I still have a few invites in a box with peoples names on them from MY wedding... obviously they weren't super important people to me!