Thursday, September 04, 2008

Movies in Lethbridge

I get that one of the things I had to give up when I moved to Lethbridge from Calgary is the convenience of seeing any currently playing movie I wanted, no matter how obscure, because someone in Calgary is going to be playing it. There have been a few movies I wanted to see that never came to the big screen in Lethbridge (ie. September Dawn) but as they weren't expected to be blockbusters I can understand not bringing them to Lethbridge.

However, the latest Don Cheadle film "Traitor" looks awesome and debuted at number 5 on its opening weekend. It has received good reviews from both critics and movie-goers. So why isn't it being shown in Lethbridge?

The first-run theater in town has 10 screens and is currently playing, among others, Mamma Mia (been out 7 weeks), Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants (4 weeks), and Pineapple Express (4 weeks). I can understand hanging on to Dark Knight (also 7 weeks) as it is consistently bringing in the money but the other 3 were ranked 8, 19, and 9 respectively in last week's earnings. All were surpassed by Traitor.

So please, if anyone has any pull with the decision makers at the Park Place theaters in Lethbridge, get them to bring in Traitor. I really really really want to see it :)

6 comments:

Louisa said...

Wow, what a hick town.

Just kidding. ;-) Seriously, don't disown me.

Anonymous said...

Why doesn't Lethbridge have an X-rated theatre? Those are the only movies I watch.

BBKing77 said...

If I had any pull, I'd use it. It does look like a good show. Chances are the Mill will bring it in after a few weeks if Galaxy doesn't.

Unknown said...

You think it's bad down there? We have ONE movie theatre, with 6 screens. Mamma Mia didn't even make it . . . how sad is that?

Visichy said...

I can't wait to hear what Weeza has to say about that LOL.

Louisa said...

There are 2x as many movie theatres, and about 3x as many screens, in the West Edmonton Mall as there are in all of Fort Mac. Bummer for Kelly.

Mind you, the WEM also has more working submarines than the Canadian military so clearly the WEM is just better at everything.

*Ghock!* Sorry. Choking on my own sarcasm there.