Monday, January 19, 2009

I'm a fan of ESBM :)

Lately I've been really into cooking. I've never been much of a cook but it has been a lot of fun exploring and developing my culinary talents.

However, developing culinary talents while trying to lose weight has been tricky so I was very happy to discover "Eat, Shrink, and Be Merry". This is the title of both a recipe book and a tv show on the Food Network. The authors/hosts take existing restaurant recipes and make them significantly healthier with a few substitutions. Then they do a taste test with the restaurant's customers or the public to see which is preferred. Cheesy puns aside, it's quite fun and an inspiration for adjusting existing recipes we all love.

I tried 2 of the recipes this weekend and was very happy with the results. Keep in mind, these are not "diet" recipes... they still have fat, calories, and other bad stuff but they have less of it and have more fiber, protein, and other good stuff than their restaurant counterparts.....

Smackaroni and Cheese... http://www.foodtv.ca/recipes/recipedetails.aspx?dishid=8422 (anyone who knows me well knows I eliminated the mushrooms from this recipe and it was still yummy LOL)

The Better Butter Chicken... http://www.foodtv.ca/recipes/recipedetails.aspx?dishid=8423

One I haven't tried yet but is on my radar is Shockolate Cheesecake... http://www.foodtv.ca/recipes/recipedetails.aspx?dishid=8418

And if you are interested in watching the tv episodes that featured these recipes in a taste test just go to any of the above links, click on "Video" near the top of the screen, then "Full Episodes", then expand the option for "Eat, Shrink, and Be Merry".

Enjoy :)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I have two of their cookbooks (I think), and they're GREAT! I love the meal plans, yummy recipes and simple ideas. I'm glad you're enjoying your cooking - I can't wait to come for a visit and eat like royalty!!!

Lyndarae said...

We tried the smackaroni, Vicky. It was pretty good.