Thursday, February 16, 2006

Braces off.... and a strange experience

Long story short.... my braces are off... YIPPEEEEE!!!!! :)

It all went well until just before I left the orthodonist's office. I was looking in the mirror, trying to get used to my new smile when one of the hygenists bought over the molds of my teeth before the braces. The difference between the before and after teeth were truly amazing. But instead of being amazed or in awe of the change, instead I was sad. When I saw my old teeth it was a reminder of how I never liked my smile. How I was always insecure about my teeth and the first impressions I gave people because of them. It was horrible for my self esteem and seeing the molds brought back all that sadness and insecurity.

So, although I don't plan on having any children, if I ever do, they are going to see the orthodontist as soon as possible to prevent any bite problems. I know self esteem is built on more than just teeth but hopefully they won't have to grow up being ashamed of their smiles like I was.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

***CONGRATULATIONS***
Loosing those braces must feel great. I am sorry you had to go through such hardship before you got them done, but I am glad that you eventually did complete your dream. Please send photos when you can as I would love to see your new smile.

Louisa said...

Awww, I totally sympathize. Congratulations for getting them off!!! Yay!!