Saturday, February 11, 2006

Confusion over "Daydream Believer"

Cheer up, Sleepy Jean
Oh, what can it mean
To a daydream believer
And a homecoming queen

The song Daydream Believer by The Monkees has been playing over and over in my head and, though a catchy tune, I soon realized that the words made no sense at all!

Cheer up sleepy Jean. First of all, who is Jean? Why is she sleepy? And why does she need cheering up? You might think the answer lies in the verses of the song. Alas, the verses are sung in the first person with no reference to Jean nor the reason why she might be miserable. There are a couple of generic references to "you" as if the song is being sung to an individual but it is unclear as to whether the "you" is Jean or not.

The rest of the chorus is a question but its meaning is unclear. Oh, what can it mean.... what is "it"? Without this information, one cannot begin to understand, let alone answer, the question.

To a daydream believer. So what the hell is a daydream believer? Presumably, it is a person who believes in their own daydreams. So is that someone who lives in their own world? Simply a psychotic who doesn't see reality as it is? If so, why do we care what "it" means to them?

And a homecoming queen. Okay, I know what a homecoming queen is (kind of... they didn't do that at my high school but I watch enough TV & movies to be able to figure it out). But what is interesting to me is that the first word of this line is AND... not OR but AND. So either the daydream believer is also a homecoming queen OR they are separate individuals but we care about what "it" means to both of them.

Have I lost you? I'm barely following this myself. Anyways, all I can really surmise is that Mr John Stewart, who penned these fine lyrics, holds the answers to the mysteries of Daydream Believer. You can read the lyrics of Daydream Believer in its entirety by clicking here.

2 comments:

Lyndarae said...

I think you can chalk it up to who made up the song. The Monkees, need I say more.

Anonymous said...

Sometimes the mysteries of life come to us from the strangest of places. This was obviously a day when you waxed philosophical. I just LOVE reading your blog, it really allows me to know you better. Keep up the good work!