Monday, January 15, 2007

At what point does the fun start??? (rant)

So let me get this straight.... I need to, without any previous experience in this area, plan a legal yet touching ceremony, on a very limited budget, to be witnessed by friends and strangers followed by a party (decorating, food, entertainment) for 160 people who may or may not be coming and, simultaneously, I need to get into the best shape of my life as I'll be wearing an outfit that shows every lump, bump, and roll I've been working since puberty to get rid of, and through all this I need to navigate the ettiquette minefield as there are toes to be stepped on at every turn?!?!?!? Is this really what it's like to be a bride-to-be? ARGH!!!!!!!

I am getting close to the end of my rope with this wedding planning business. I'm not a good delegator as it is but in reality I'm not really in a position to delegate much anyways. My "maid of honor"/witness, Scott, is flying in the day before so I can't give him any duties except to show up on the day. The groom, Vince, is helpful but it's not like he can order my garter or do my "practice hair" or anything. So the majority of things to get done falls either entirely or partly on me.

I can totally understand why couples hire a wedding planner. Save a few of the planning headaches and just let the bride concentrate on being a bride. Like I'm not busy enough working full time and trying to fit in a couple of hobbies (which have basically gone out the window until after the wedding). I also have to find the time to get back to the gym to try and drop the 25 lbs (yup, what was 18 is now 25 after the holidays) to look fabulous in my dress. I'm also trying to grow out my hair (tearing it out doesn't help), will need to start tanning (albino chick in white dress is scary), and need to look into getting my teeth whitened. If I only had that to worry about then I could probably handle it. But this whole "planning" business is enough to drive anyone to drink... nope, can't do that as it'll make me puffy. Sigh!

5 comments:

Carlson02 said...

I love you Vicky. In the end it will all be worth it. Reading your story totally brings me back to the months before my wedding, I can sympathize. If you need any help... please please please, let me know. I am more than willing to lend a hand in anything that I can do.

Louisa said...

Aww, I feel for you.

Call me often. I'll make all the decisions for you. :-)

Unknown said...

Oh I'll help you Vicky :) I can browbeat those florists and caterers into giving you GREAT discounts!

I don't envy you, but I don't think your experiences are abnormal. I think most brides go through this.

If it helps, I'll be in attendance :)

Anonymous said...

Actually it is a subtle plan that all "marrieds" gang up on the "soon-to-be-marrieds" to initiate them into a life of being a twosome. Sorry it is so tough, hopefully the big day will make it all worth it.

Anonymous said...

If there is anything I can do, let me know.

Scott -- aka person/servant/man of honour