Sunday, April 22, 2007

It's time for another episode of "Movie Reviews with Vicky"

An Inconvenient Truth - (documentary), 4 stars. The information was good but only sometimes convincing. Al Gore, although fairly good at what he does, is a politician. I take every word out of any politician's mouth with a grain of salt. It may have been helpful to have actual scientists back up his presentation instead of charts summarizing what many scientists have discovered. Overall, and considering that it's not the most "sexy" subject matter, it was a good documentary.

Sharkwater - (documentary), 5 stars. Now THIS is what a documentary should be. It was exciting, convincing, heart-breaking, awe-inspiring.... in a word, WOW! Now, it's STILL a documentary so don't go expecting to see car chases and witty banter. But this is one of my favorite documentaries ever and definitely my favorite one having anything to do with nature.

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - 4 1/2 stars. Funny story about this one... I went to Blockbuster yesterday to rent it as I've seen the first 3 and wanted to see the 4th before the 5th came out in theaters. So I went to the New Releases section... not there... Drama?... not there... Family?... Kids?... Action?... Comedy?... I couldn't find Harry Potter movies anywhere! I finally found a small section off to the side called "Sequels" where they had Harry Potter, Superman, Spiderman, Lord of the Rings, etc. Now who could have predicted that's where I'd finally find it? LOL. Anyways, good HP movie. They incorporated a lot of the book into the movie but they could have shaved off about 3 minutes of the final "maze" challenge... I got a little bored during that part. Other than that though, very good movie.

Meet The Robinson's - (animated) 4 stars. I wasn't expecting much because the critics had ripped it apart so much before I saw it. Maybe that's why it seemed so good to me (low expectations will do that LOL). Anyways, it was fairly entertaining. A bit confusing at times and they sometimes had scenes that had almost nothing to do with the story... these storyline tangents are what hurt it mostly for me and the critics. However, at the end of the day, it was a fairly entertaining 90 minutes and I'd recommend it to children and adults. A good family feature.

Blades of Glory - (comedy) 3 stars. 3 stars is actually generous. I laughed a bit but it was the classic situation of all the funny parts being shown in the trailers. I felt the same way about Talladega Nights... maybe it's a Will Ferrell thing.

Wild Hogs - (comedy) 4 stars. Not an oscar winner of course, but overall a fun way to spend an evening. Lots of belly laughs in this one. So many that when I saw it on opening weekend (in a packed theater) there was so much laughter that I often could not hear the next line. We'll be getting this one on DVD for sure so I'll eventually get to hear what I missed the first time around :)

Other recommended movies that I've seen in the last month or two.... Ghost Rider (3 stars), Night At The Museum (3 1/2 stars), Shut Up And Sing - Dixie Chicks documentary (5 stars)

Upcoming movies I'm looking forward to.... Hot Fuzz, Fracture, Spiderman 2, September Dawn, Shrek 3, Georgia Rule (chick flick if ever I saw one LOL), Pirates of the Carribean 3, Knocked Up, Ocean's 13, Harry Potter 5..... oh man, I want to see everything! LOL

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't forget to add Transformers to the list. A robot in disguise to punish and enslave.

Louisa said...

I'm looking forward to HP5 too.