Sunday, June 01, 2008

Irritating and ironic

I work with a girl who used to be a model. I have never seen a picture of her or one of the movies she was supposedly in but she mentions it all the time. I should also mention that she is neither tall (I am taller than her) nor particularly pretty.... regular but not pretty. Nor is she extremely thin... about average but not thin. So in no way would I have guessed she was a model if she hadn't told me.

The first time she told me I responded with "how interesting" and asked her some questions about it. Then we moved on with the conversation and I thought that was the end of it.

But since then she mentions it about once every 2 weeks... and every time she acts like she is telling me for the first time and there's a big pause while she looks at me expectantly. It's like she is expecting me to fawn all over her and praise her for her former career. I don't think she is even doing it consciously. I suspect she usually gets a positive reaction from people and she feeds off it. But she has now mentioned it so often that it's irritating me and I won't play her game anymore.

So a few weeks ago she mentioned again that she used to be a model and I responded with "yes, you told me about that." And last week when she mentioned it yet again I just looked at her and waited for her to continue her thought (if there was one). I don't think it is my responsibility to provide fawning whenever she mentions her former career.

Here's the funny thing. I only found out about 2 weeks ago (after working with her for almost 8 months) that she has her masters degree in computer science. I would have thought THAT would be something to brag about.... not that someone put some makeup on her and snapped a few pictures. Where's the achievement in that?

2 comments:

Louisa said...

Interesting character study. Drives me crazy when people need constant validation. An occasional "wow" or "that's cool" is about all I can usually muster. :-)

Agreed the master's degree in comp sci is much more worthy of praise.

BBKing77 said...

Oooh, I agree! ANY degree in Computer Science is worthy of MUCH praise! :D