Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Well, it has been a while

I know, I know, it has been a long time since I updated my blog. Basically what happened was I found facebook and figured my blog rantings could just be posted there as notes. But ya know what? That didn't really happen. So I'm back baby. :)

There's just so much I have to say. I have many rants stored inside me that need to come out. The first one is about one of my pet peeves.... when people say "if I can do it, you/anyone can do it". I suppose this is supposed to be motivational, as if to say I am weak and found the strength so I know you have the strength in you because you are not as weak as me. But the unsaid portion of the statement is I found the strength to do something that "anyone" can do so if you don't do it then there is something lacking in you. It's just negativity in my life that is unnecessary.

And we see this statement everywhere... usually in weight loss or exercise commercials as part of their sales pitch. If some stranger says to me that if they can do something then anyone can do it, it actually turns me completely off their product. There is a level of arrogance in it. It's as if they are challenging me to do what they did. Well I'm simply not interested in meeting the challenge of a stranger in a 30 second commercial and spending hundreds or thousands of dollars to do so. I just don't care enough. And they just irritated me enough to change the channel too.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yipee!! You are back! Yeah that kinda bugs me when people say that too. I don't mind so much when it is someone I know and they are saying... for instance... about running, then sometimes it can be encourageing. Knowing that someone has been in my boat, and seeing where they are now. But in a comerial, or trying to get you to do some buiness... grrrrrrrrrr!!!

Louisa said...

Welcome back! Rant away. :-)