Thursday, April 10, 2008

Yeah, I'm offended (rant)

Last night I went to see Spirit Of The Marathon. It was awesome and I was totally inspired to put my shoes on and go for a run.

Now before I go any further in my story let me just say this.... I'm fat! I totally and completely get that and understand that. However, does that really mean that I can't run? I won't be able to complete a marathon tomorrow but I can run a bit! So on with my story....

They had a table set up outside the theater where people could enter their name in a draw for prizes after the show. As I was filling out my ballot one of the organizers came up to me and said "Oh, do you run?". This guy didn't ask ANYONE ELSE AT ALL this question... just me. Maybe I'm being oversensitive about it but it seemed that he not-so-subtly was showing shock that the fat girl came to the running movie.

Then I got home... still totally inspired by the show... and I asked Vince if he would cheer me on at the finish line of a race. He responded "well, yeah" very hesitantly... so I finished the sentence for him "if you don't have to work!". He sheepishly said yes. So I said "if I was in a marathon would you take the day off work to be there at the finish line?". Men, if your wife asks you if you'll be there at the finish line when she is running a marathon the correct answer is a resounding "YES, OF COURSE I WILL, BABY!". Vince however responded with "that's a long ways away so let's not worry about it yet." SIGH!!!!!!

By the way, be sure to rent Spirit Of The Marathon when it comes out on DVD this fall. Yes, it's about marathon runners but specifically about a handful of people in various walks of life from elite Olympic athletes who are in it to win to a single mom who is a first time runner. It's about the people and their stories more than the race itself but the whole thing is awesome. My experiences with the dude at the theater and my husband at home notwithstanding, the show is a definite must see :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe the guy asked you that! Grrr....

On the other hand... I LOVED THAT SHOW!! Even though it was about marathons, it was inspiring. Even though I know a marathon is a LONG way off, it just inspires me to set a goal and just go out and do it! I would really like to buy it when it comes out. Thanks for letting me know about it... I had a great time!

Anonymous said...

You must be a marathon runner because you run naked through Vince's mind all the time!