Monday, September 11, 2006

Inappropriate Endearments

Last week I was talking to an Air Canada representative on the phone to rearrange my flight home from the ASC show in January. The woman, though kind and helpful, made me uncomfortable because she kept calling me "dear" and "honey". Because this was a business transaction I felt those endearments were inappropriate. Not to mention that I had never met this woman!

I call friends, family, loved ones, etc by endearments all the time. However, in business where we deal primarily with strangers, I just think calling people "dear" and "honey" can be not only inappropriate, but it could be seen as demeaning... like they are talking to a child. Am I wrong? Your thoughts?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Stuff like that doesn't make me feel uncomfortable, but it does irritate the heck out of me. I use those words for people I know and care about, not for random strangers. I understand your feelings exactly! Mind you, with Air Canada, at least she was polite!

Anonymous said...

Oh, come on honey. What's a little sweet nothin' between you and your friendly air carrier?

Louisa said...

For me, if it's from a woman, it doesn't bother me all that much, especially if it's someone I'm only dealing with incidentally. (If it were someone I interact with regularly, then it would be weird.) If it were a guy, under any circumstance, that would make me uncomfortable.

Anonymous said...

Weeza, you're such a doll.