Wednesday, September 27, 2006

My Knees Hurt - UPDATED

Okay, everyone with a dirty mind, I know what your first thought was! LOL.

It has been very strange... my knees have been causing me a surprisingly high amount of pain lately and I couldn't figure out why for the longest time. At first I thought it was because of the step classes at the gym so I made sure I was using a low step and using correct posture & stepping technique. But I discovered that not only was that not helping, in fact the pain was often worse after days when I wasn't even at the gym.

Then I thought maybe it was pain from the car accidents I was in a few years ago. But I eliminated that possibility pretty quickly because although I still suffer neck and upper back issues, the knee pain has been cleared up for a long time and it would be unlikely to come back all of a sudden.

But now I think I've solved the mystery... I suspect I am suffering from knee pain because of how I sit on my desk chair (since I'm working from home I don't have to worry about posture and appearances like I would in an office environment). I find it comfortable to sit on my chair either cross legged (like a child during story time LOL) or with one leg crossed under me. Long periods of sitting in this position loosely correspond with times when the knee pain has been the most severe. It also explains why the pain can be worse in one knee and then the next day switch knees. I didn't realize sitting that way could cause knee problems but if you think about it.... the knee is in an unnaturally bent position with most of the body weight keeping it there for extended periods of time.... well then it makes sense LOL. So now I have to sit like a grown up :P My feet are on the floor, my back is straight, and it is strangely uncomfortable... something to get used to I guess.

Check back this afternoon for my weigh in results. Given this week's activity level (pretty good but not fabulous) and eating habits (fast food TWICE but other than that not too bad), my suspicion is that I'll have a very small loss (less than 1/2 pound) or maintain.

UPDATE! I was ever so pleasantly surprised to learn that I had actually lost 1.2 lbs this week. Given the so-so nature of this past week, I was thrilled with that loss. I have 3.6 lbs to go to reach my Thanksgiving goal weight. Since I weigh in every Wednesday, I'm counting the weigh in on Oct 11 (2 days after Thanksgiving) as the official weigh in day for that goal. So I have 2 weeks to really get my butt in gear and lose those 3.6 lbs :) As always, here is the direct link to the weight loss page on my site.... http://members.shaw.ca/vicky.bennett/weight_loss.htm

4 comments:

Louisa said...

I get knee pain when I sit like that too, and foot pain if I'm sitting on my foot. I keep a little stepstool under my desk now so I can either have my feet on the floor or on the stepstool - both are comfortable and it allows me to move my legs a bit even when sitting for hours.

Unknown said...

Sorry 'bout the knees . . . as my mom would say, if it hurts, stop doing it! I also have a little stool under my computer desk, so I don't sit with crossed legs anymore. It helps immensely!

Congrats on the weight loss . . . way to go Vicky!

Anonymous said...

Oh, how I sympathise with the aching knees syndrome! My knees can make me real cranky (and I am such a pleasant person naturally LOL). Be careful with them because as you age they get worse!
Huge congratulations on the weight loss. Way to go!!!

Anonymous said...

How would we sit if our legs bent the other direction?