Tuesday, September 05, 2006

What do our dreams tell us.... if anything?

Dreams are interesting. I've heard they contain our deepest fears and desires. I'm sure there is more to it than that though. I think real life has more impact on our dreams than fantasies do.

A couple of months ago I had a vivid dream that I was getting divorced! Having never been married I figured a therapist would have a field day with me over that one LOL. However, upon further reflection I think I had that dream because I had been talking to a friend earlier that day about the unhappy state of his marriage.

Then last night I had a dream, a very strange dream, in which I was a single mother with an infant son. The young nameless boy was only a couple of days old and in my dream I had fed him one meal (mushy cereal... he was advanced for his age LOL) but he had had nothing to drink and was getting dehydrated. It took me a few dream-days to realize that the young boy might be hungry and thirsty. He didn't cry or anything, just relied on me to be on the ball enough to give him food and water. But when I woke up I was very thirsty and dehydrated. So I'm thinking that my own real life thirst was projected onto my dream child.

I have no strong feelings about marriage or children as I have never experienced either. However, these are two of the most memorable dreams I have had in recent history. And in my dreams I was unsuccessful at both. So maybe I DO have a fear (failing at marriage, failing at child-rearing) that is being projected in my dreams. Who knows? Any theories?

2 comments:

Louisa said...

I try not to analyze dreams too much since the time I dreamt that I killed my beloved first cat. :-( I cried for days and she was totally fine in real life. Ironically I now let her get away with murder.

Anonymous said...

The thirsty child represents the power washer sitting in your garage screaming for you to feed it water. It was not happy when you tried to feed it coffee grounds.

The divorce is actually not a divorce. It is your longing to separate velcro.