Friday, September 29, 2006

What's the difference?

Today I went to the Post Office to pick up something that arrived for me. When I handed her the notice that arrived in my mailbox, the young lady behind the counter asked if I was expecting a parcel... or a package?

I have always used these terms interchangably, yet this woman was asking if I was expecting to receive one OR the other... as if they were two different things. I was not aware of the differences between parcels and packages so I said "I don't know" and she went to the back to retrieve the item. She never did tell me if what I had received was a parcel or a package.

So does anyone know the difference? I could google it or wikipedia it but I just can't be bothered and I'm sure SOMEONE who reads my blog will care enough to look it up and let me know :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Based on my extensive use of both words and my detailed knowledge of english you can be certain that there is a difference between them.

Parcel:
Small unit of conveyance that is wrapped in twine. It must have "french flair"

Package:
Medium to large unit of conveyance that is rustic in nature. It must be brown. It must not have any "french flair."

Women's underwear MUST always be shipped as a parcel. FHP must always be shipped as a parcel.

Men's underwear is rustic by nature and must always be shipped in a package. When worn, the underwear must be OUTSIDE the package.

Unknown said...

Well, regardless of what it should be called, I'm glad it made it safe and sound. Sure took long enough! Pony Express is a better term than ExpressPost

Louisa said...

Hi, I'm a librarian. Please let me do your research for you.

According to Princeton Wordnet:

Parcel = package: a wrapped container

Package = a wrapped container

I looked on the Canada Post website for enlightenment but they only refer to parcels on their website.

Oh but check out what I came across in Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pass_the_parcel

Remember the days when we'd fight tooth and nail over a candy bar in the middle of a pass-the-parcel parcel?

Oh and hey, remember Spoons? One, two, three, pa-a-ass. Lol. I don't think anyone else will get that reference.

Visichy said...

Ooooooo oooo, let's play Pass The Parcel on my birthday!!!! That would be hilarious! Okay, I can be a grown-up... but how much fun would that be. Adults acting like children... kind of like playing 7's at Christmas LOL.